Yngve - A school chair for a childs' best interest
AJ Produkter has long worked to ensure that school children have as good a working environment as adults. School is the children's workplace! When the EU introduced a new standard for school furniture, we therefore took it for granted to develop a completely new chair, which would both meet the new requirements and put the best interests of the children at the center. And here is the result: the school chair Yngve.
A safe and ergonomic learning environment
The new European standard EN 1729 will ensure that furniture for education is adapted to children in preschool / school and meets certain criteria for quality and safety. That the furniture fits the children's length is especially important because a correct sitting position is a prerequisite for children's learning.
- We at AJ are used to developing our own products - 30% of our range is designed and manufactured in-house. So when the new standard came, we immediately decided to develop a school chair that would not only meet the higher requirements but also be nice to look at and comfortable to sit on, says Jonas Emanuelsson, product manager in the Education segment.
With the help of experts: the school children themselves
When our team of product developers began to work out the conditions for the design process, we decided to ask the real experts - the school children themselves.
- We met children from three different schools and listened to their wishes to get a picture of how they experience their current chairs and what improvements they want in the future, says Jonas.
A design with a focus on convenience
Based on the children's wishes regarding comfort and flexibility, and the EU standard's requirements regarding strength and stability, our designer Cecilia Stööp began sketching out different solutions.
Soon a new chair emerged with an enclosing backrest and cupped seat for best comfort.
- The tapered shape of the back frame came early in the process because we wanted to make it possible to sit in different directions, says Cecilia. Adjustable footrests were another priority to be able to give children of all sizes a good working position, while the rear-facing sliders were added so that the chair could easily be hung up on the student bench after the day and make it easier for the janitors.
The name is taken from the shape of the chair
From an early age, it was clear that the chair would be something very special. And then demand a good name ...
- The name of the chair came about when the backrest started to look like a Y and I came to think of Y as in Yngve, and a Yngve that I know, says Cecilia. In addition to having a very nice name, he also has nice qualities, such as safe, welcoming and caring. It fit well on our chair.
During the trip, we made several prototypes to be able to test strength, comfort and materials. We also reconciled with the school children we had met before and made them like it. Again.
From approved tests to launch
When Yngve's final shape was determined, it was with great pride that we sent the finished model to an independent test institute, to get black and white that our new chair holds the measure.
- Yngve passed the tough tests and got his approval according to EN 1729, says Jonas. And now the finished chair is here, ready to improve the working environment in the school, both according to the EU's tough requirements and the school students' own wishes.
here will be more coming…
Initially, Yngve will join, but the development will continue and more versions and ideas will be realized in the future, both in terms of leg positions and footrests. From the start, Yngve is also available in several color variants, but even at that point the development process continues. And since each child tends to grow and develop completely at his own pace, Yngve is available in three recommended heights (see table). Why? Because only the best is good enough for our children, of course.